Site Meter Elsie's Space: She's Hooked
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

She's Hooked

We were watching cartoons when a commercial came on advertising the opening of Beauty and the Beast. She's only eight, but already is in love with the theater. She knows we have tickets (how could we not when Belle is her favorite?). She turns to look at me and smiles. Then a little frown.

I know in that instant that the frown is because mommy already had to bow out of attending Annie this summer (traumatic for us both) and sent her to the theater with Nana instead. So I say, "I'm pretty sure I'll be able to take you to see this one." I don't think I've ever seen her smile so big in her life. I can't believe how happy she looked. Then she told me how much she loves her Nana but that I am her favorite person in the whole big wide world. And I knew she meant it.

Then we went on to discuss all the different shows she's already seen. She's seen more shows in her eight-year-old life than I had seen by my mid-twenties. Then she listed them in order of her favorites. Lion King in front, Annie close behind. Oliver was good, but not as good as the movie. The Nutcracker was good, but she doesn't want to see ballet too often. And on and on and on. "What will happen if I like Beauty and Beast as much as Lion King?" "You can have them tie." "That's okay?" "It's your list, you can make it any way you want." "If it's a tie, I'll put the one you like best first." "It's your list, you can make it any way you want." "It's our list, Mom. We're the theater girls."

The theater girls. She is hooked.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That's good news! I am saddened that so few people go to the theatre for proper shows these days. The most popular nights in our local theatre seem to be rude comedians and tribute bands: Awful Abba, Tina Terrible etc

9:31 AM  
Blogger Peter (the other) said...

"Awful Abba" (isn't that redundant?)! My friend Johnny made a good living playing Bjorn in a Brit. faux Abba band.

In anycase, one can see that Elsie (and her daughter) and MaryB seem cut from a very similar cloth.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Hey, lay off Abba, will ya? Not a band I ever listened to, but I did go see "Mama Mia" at the theater two years ago. I had to drag hubby there, but mom and dad gave us the tickets, so we had to go. And now, as I hang my head in shame, I must admit to liking it. Far from the best, but entertaining nonetheless. Note that it's back again this season, so it must have been popular.

I just love being in the theater itself. It's pretty spectacular. Take a virtual tour at www.ppacri.org.

2:21 PM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Yea, you! Believe it or not, I think my Kate's first musical theatre experience was Sondheim's Into the Woods. Kate was 4 years old and loved it (though I'm sure most of it went right over her head - it is kinda deep).

For her growing up years, we had season tickets for the Broadway road shows coming through Atlanta - Secret Garden, Annie, Guys and Dolls - you name it. It all paid off when she reached the peak of musical theatre-ness by playing the role of Miss Adelaide in her middle school's attempt at Guys and Dolls.

We are theatre-girls to infinity-degree! You'll have a lifetime of fun, fun, fun!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

We haven't gotten to the season tickets stage yet. There are some productions that just aren't appropriate for an eight-year-old, and I have to nag hubby to attend with me (he's not into the musical thing, but will accompany me to Trinity Rep at any time, thankfully). I expect season tickets are in our future, probably in just a few short years!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Mary, I should also point out that the majority of the shows we attend are courtesy of mom and dad. I'd go broke if I had to do it myself!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home