Site Meter Elsie's Space: The Cloud Has Lifted
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Cloud Has Lifted


Everything looks brighter. Sounds silly, but it's true. It's amazing how simply feeling physically well can change everything.

And about that cloud -- my husband's cousin called several weeks ago to see how I'd been faring when she blurted out, "you sure have a black cloud hanging over you." Huh? Did she really say that? She sure did. And her words got stuck in my head like a bad LP spinning round and round, over and over, in my brain.

Black cloud? Me? I've always thought that my life's been somewhat enchanted. Even as a kid, things always came fairly easy to me. I was a great student, had lots of friends, a wonderful family, and so much more. Then, as I became an adult, I stumbled into my first job with a wonderful company, met some of the most interesting people I'll probably ever meet, got promotion after promotion, experienced some of the world, and so much more. Eventually, I married a great guy, had two beautiful, perfect children, a beautiful home, and so much more. Black cloud?

Black cloud. I asked her what she meant. She said that in the past many years I've had to deal with back surgery twice and that I broke my ankle a couple of winters ago. Does that really mean I'm living with a Black Cloud hanging over my head? I think not. C'mon. Almost all my friends have one malady or another. Everyone's on meds for everything: high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and on and on and on. Me? Nope. None of the above. So, I've suffered a couple of acute injuries, but have no chronic conditions. And I'm the one with the cloud?

I guess that perhaps what shocked me most was that I just couldn't believe she'd say such a thing because I've never thought that way about myself or anyone else. And if I did, I surely wouldn't say it. If someone did, in fact, seem to have a Black Cloud hanging over them, I would not want to point it out. I just can't imagine thinking it, never mind saying it aloud.

So, if I did have a Black Cloud hanging over me, it's gone. And if, maybe just maybe, it ever truly existed for me, it came with a silver lining.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all see others' lives through the lop-sided filters of our own existence. You have a truly remarkable outlook that more of us could benefit from, and that is generally the way I have always tried to see myself. The person who said that to you must have a truly miserable existence herself. Keep your sunny side up...

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi kiddo.

Tis good.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home