Site Meter Elsie's Space: Just This Once
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Just This Once

I've always made it a personal policy not to discuss politics on this here blog. I've gotten myself into trouble "talking" politics, so I hesitate...but just this once...here's what I think.

VOTE -- any American reading this who is eligible to vote but doesn't has no right to whine, whine, whine when things don't go his/her way. I won't go into that it is a privilege, right or responsibility to vote. We all know that. We all know that there are people in the world who have been killed for simply trying to vote. It is easy for us here. I am well aware of the exceptions. But for most of us, it really is simple (I only have to walk across the street). There are no excuses. I don't care if you vote in a primary for the person you want elected in the end or if you vote for whom you perceive as the weaker candidate simply to make your candidate appear stronger (I don't understand it, but I don't care). Just VOTE with a conscience.

RESPECT THE OFFICE -- this is what's gotten me into trouble in the past. If we Americans were to truly respect the office, any office, then we would choose people who are qualified to represent us. A man or woman may not be worthy of respect, but the office is. I'm not talking about any other country's offices. I am talking about the United States of America.

CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTION REFORM -- seems a no-brainer to me. It is sorely needed. I'm sure that there are major flaws in my reasoning, but why can't there be a campaign contribution fund that divides funds equally between all candidates? The rich are not representative of most Americans, and I'm sick and tired of only the wealthy being viable candidates. Daddy's money doesn't give you brains or morals or the ability to run a country. For those who insist upon being recognized for their contributions, I suggest that the public records include an "in support of" section where someone who wants to contribute money can choose to list their candidate of choice. Everyone will see who has the most supporters. I wonder how many wonderful candidates who are truly interested in public service have been shut out of political races of all kinds.

DEMOCRATS VS. REPUBLICANS -- call yourself whatever you want. Personally, I am registered independent. In my state that makes me eligible to vote in either party's primary (only one per election). I've been known to vote either side. I can walk into the Democratic primary, vote, and then declare myself an independent again on my way out of the polls.

Straight party voting seems stupid to me. I've met Democrats I've liked and hated. I've met Republicans I've liked and hated. And I believe the line between the two parties is fading. Vote your conscience. The right man or woman for the job. Simple.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease -- we all need to squeak loud and clear. Make some noise by making your choices heard. VOTE VOTE VOTE!

The end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I so agree with you about the right and responsibility to vote. Husband doesn't always bother and I get cross with him.

And your campaign funding idea seems good to me.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home