Site Meter Elsie's Space: Not Your Grandma's Magazine
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Not Your Grandma's Magazine

"Not your mother's, either." This, according to my 96-year-old grandma, is my magazine now. "I think it's changed. It's for you younger women," she said as she handed me the first copy of her new subscription to Redbook. When I asked her why, she replied, "It doesn't interest me. Maybe it will interest you." Then she promptly changed the subject.

Later that day I took a look at my magazine. I don't think I'd seen a copy of it since I was a girl. Boy, she wasn't kidding. Poor Grandma! I can only imagine her horror as she flipped through the pages. The articles included, and I'm not making this up:

  • How to Have Soul-Satisfying Sex Tonight
  • Make the Ultimate Sex Connection
  • Sexier Sex - Can I Really Have Sex There?
  • The Man Manual - Get the Most Out of Your Guy

Oh, yes -- there were also articles on food and children. But nope, it's not my grandma's Redbook (doesn't it sound more like 80's Cosmo?). If you're curious, yes, I read the articles. No, I didn't learn anything new, though I'm not sure what that means about me.

Grandma has now given me many unread volumes of the magazine. I suggested she cancel her subscription, but she won't do it. I think she's too embarrassed. Or maybe she really thinks I could learn something. In any case, it seems I'm destined to receive at least a few more editions of not-your-mama's Redbook.

If I learn anything new, I'll let you know....maybe.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better keep them hidden under the sweaters in the bottom drawer so the kids don't find them...

I never read Redbook, but I remember my Mom getting it. My impression was that it was about like BH&G, but with more emphasis on fashion. Maybe I should pick up a copy and check it out... Now me -- I would probably learn something...

7:48 AM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I think it means you have great sex!

It's interesting though that she hasn't cancelled her subscription ...

5:52 PM  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Maybe there's a few things you don't know about Grandma.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Oh Winston, you never know what's hidden in the bottom drawer. And I seriously doubt you're in need of any lessons.

Liz, it is interesting that she hasn't cancelled. Maybe she only pretends not to read them before sending them on to me.

Joy, maybe there are. Grandma appears to be the epitome of British grandmas, but I wonder...

2:24 PM  
Blogger MaryB said...

I always got Redbook and McCall's mixed up. I had no idea that it was still around! (But I'm not much of a magazine person, so what do I know?)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Mary, I'm not much of a magazine person, either. It makes Grandma feel good to pass them on (there are others). I read National Geographic and Smithsonian (both gifts) regularly, but like you I'm more of a book person. I'm about a quarter of the way through Harry Potter. It's getting good.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Redbook too. It is about 40 years old and written by Mao ;-)

12:17 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Dr. Stu, that book is a different shade of red!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Hey Elsie...I've tried to e-mail you several times in response to your comments on my blog; but they keep coming back. The e-mail address that keeps getting returned is:

noreply@sixapart.com

Is that correct? If not, could you e-mail me the correct one so I have it in my address book? Thanks so much sweetie....

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home