Site Meter Elsie's Space: Being One of Them
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Being One of Them

On several occasions and on several blogs I've read about how narcissistic teeth whitening is. I confess, I am one of them, a narcissist. I whiten my teeth once a year. For the rest of the year, I do things that make one's teeth turn yellowish (we all know what they are), and I'm not yet willing to give up those things. So with a little help from a "whitening system," I go back to pearly, or as pearly as they will ever be again.

Generally speaking, I've got a thing about teeth and taking good care of them. I also confess that I am a regular flosser. I know that most people aren't quite as obsessed as I am, but brushing and flossing should be a part of everyone's every day. I do not understand how people can show their smiles in public when it looks as though they haven't seen the end of a toothbrush in months. I actually know a couple of these folks. I DO NOT think all people are required to have the perfect smile. Having a not-quite-perfect smile is perfection. I DO think that all people are required to practice good oral hygiene.

Today is day one of seven. I expect to end up three to four shades whiter within the week. If only losing weight were so easy. I can just imagine taking a little strip thingy and slapping it onto one of my thighs or my butt. Okay, it would have to be a large strip thingy. Seven days later ... no more thunder thighs or big butt. I can also imagine taking a strip thingy and slapping it onto my face and watching the wrinkles disappear. That would be something! I can't believe that someone hasn't already invented these. I'd do it myself, but I'm too busy whitening my teeth.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

I see those whitening systems all the time at the stores, and wonder if they really work. It's nice to hear that they do Elsie. Hey, I see nothing wrong with taking steps to make some things look better....there are so many things we have no control over. Maybe I'll try it one day. Happy Smiles.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh wouldn't it be good to wipe out those wrinkles just like that? I recently saw an advert for something that looks to be polyfilla for skin. A little tube of stuff that allegedly fills in the deep wrinkle lines. I am going to HAVE to try it!

Doesn't whitening erode your teeth? I thought I'd read that somewhere.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

Hello Elsie, I have just fallen into your site from somewhere else!
Being English, it's only natural that I do not have perrrfect teeth, but I do try to look after them! They're very straight and I haven't as yet lost one. (I have an absolute horror of loosing a tooth.) What happens to crowned teeth when you whiten?

(Liz, let me know, please,please when you have found out....)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Joy, they do work. Thanks for making me feel better about being so vain!

Liz, I've seen the tubes of stuff to fill in the wrinkles. It's called spackle, and I just can't handle using a product called that!

Lizzie, I too have a fear of losing teeth. So far, so good...but I do have two crowns. They are not affected by the whitening, but mine are both the very back teeth, so it's not an issue. Thanks for stopping by.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought of using one of those whiteners myself. Cosmetic surgery and hair transplants -- those are narcissistic, but this, no. The regular cleanings by the dental techs help, but do not get the effects of many years of coffee and smoking.

Which brand do you use that works so well?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Hey Winston. Crest Whitestrips. I use the Premium (7 days), but I've also used the regular (might be called something else) that takes 14 days. Both worked well.

I started a few years ago getting them done at the dentist's office (had to have a custom-fit tray and use syringes to put the gel into them -- what a pain). Great results, but the cost was pretty steep so when Crest came out with the strips, I got the dentist's okay and gave it a try. Results almost as good, but for hundreds less!!

They've also now come out with some sort of super-duper-premium strips, but I haven't tried them. Good luck if you decide to give it a whirl. Smiling at you.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home