Site Meter Elsie's Space
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm a creature of habit...generally. Awake early...usually. Perc a pot of coffee...always. Walk the dog...if he's awake. Sit at the computer...if the kids are still sleeping. Power up...log on. Pull up a favorite blog...I'm off. Now I often have every intention of writing something on my own little blog, but then my idea will seem silly and not nearly as interesting in the light of day. Today I realized that perhaps it's because I much prefer reading blogs to writing one. And, wow (surprise), that's a-okay.

Life happens. My (our) life lately has had its share of ups and downs and downs. When I sit and try to put all these feelings into words, it can be overwhelming. And boring. It's a relief to visit other blogs instead. And it's amazing how often someone else writes about something I'd been thinking. I like seeing how my blogging friends handle everything so gracefully. Philosophically. How they use the power and beauty of their words. I'm envious. But I love it.

Fits and starts and feeling uncomfortable about my own space has definitely been good for me. Being out of my comfort zone is sometimes just what I need. But I, as I imagine most people do, prefer feeling comfortable. And where I'm most comfortable, and what I most enjoy, is visiting you all at your places.

A few weeks ago, at the playground, I watched how small children approach and befriend each other. It's so easy for them. It's hard to make new friends as an adult. I thought how we adults should have our own playground, too. Then I realized that we do. It's this blogosphere we've created. It is the one place where an adult can simply pop in to say hi, and a friendship may very well be born. It's comforting to me to know that there are places where I'm welcome, where I can go play. It's certainly more fun and less boring than being stuck "at home." The brief time spent each day visiting your playgrounds energizes me. I laugh and cry and think about things in ways I may never have considered, thanks to your insights. It's the gentle prodding that I, personally, often need.

I suppose it's about time that I've finally become comfortable with this blogging thing. The reading works best for me, but I'll continue to write, too. Friendships, even virtual ones, aren't a one-way street. So, dear bloggers, welcome to my playground. I'll work harder at making it a fun place to visit. In the meantime, I'll be seeing you at your places, where I most like to play.

love, Elsie

P.S. Congratulations and my very best wishes to Liz and her family on this special Wedding Weekend!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly and not interesting? Hardly. This was a beautiful piece Elsie...truly warm and touching....I just loved it. I'm a creature of habit too. My days come and go in a very similar way; and it's the rare day that takes me out of my comfort zone. I treasure my visits in the blogosphere...just like you. Sometimes I just want to read too. It truly is a wonderful playground for all of us big kids, isn't it?

12:26 PM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Geez, Elsie, I'm the same way. I love reading what everyone has to say, but many times I just don't have anything to blog about - or I have something, but not something I'd BLOG about (if you know what I mean). I feel silly blogging: "Well, I don't know what to say." How often can you post that kind of thing without seeming to be the most boring old fart on earth?

But about you: I love what you write, whenever you write it, and I always love the photos. So, I do understand when you want to just read and not post. (I guess we need to organize ourselves, though, so we're not all on hiatus at the same time!)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Thank you, Joy. It is a wonderful playground for us all.

BTW, I saw on your that you had dinner in Providence. That's a mere 15 minutes from here. Please let me know if you come through again and you have time for a cup of coffee.

Mary, I'm glad it's not just me that doesn't always have something to say! And maybe someday if Joy comes back this way we can all get together.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been wondering where you were, and glad to know you're OK. I find your stuff quite interesting and refreshing, which is frequently a welcome break from some of the blogs I read. This post for example, made me think of blogging in a slightly different way. Yes, it is a playground we create for ourselves, and we also choose who shares our toys, based on who we gravitate to.

I have used the metaphor of a sandbox on my blog in the past, but in a somewhat different context.

If reading is what pulls your chain, then by all means, do it. Just live up to your word that you will not quit writing completely. When you have something to say, say it. We're listening...

10:04 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Thanks, Winston. I do remember your sandbox post, now that you mention it. At least if I'm stealing an idea, it's from you -- can't think of anyone better!!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Thank you for your wishes, Elsie. It was all fandabydoby!

I always enjoy reading your blog and as this post illustrates, you write well (not something all bloggers do!)

Just because something seems silly or uninteresting to you doesn't mean you shouldn't write about it if you want to! Look at my blog - I rabbit about the most boring and insignificant things but I do it because it gets it out of my system. Otherwise it clogs up my brain!

I love the idea of the blogosphere as our playground where we can make friends. I find it very hard in real life and yet I feel that there are genuine friendships formed on here that are supportive and lasting.

When you feel like reading, read; when you feel like writing, write. Don't ever feel compelled though because it won't work if that happens!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home