Site Meter Elsie's Space: Blog Sounds
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Blog Sounds

Do you ever wonder what other bloggers sound like? I do, all the time. When I read their posts, this is what I hear.

Mary -- a gentle southern drawl, not too "twangy," a bit on the deeper side. Authoritative.

Liz -- of course, all I can imagine is a lovely Welsh accent. I've only ever met two Welsh people. I liked how they sounded, but I couldn't understand a word they were saying! I wonder, would I understand Liz? And how in the world do you pronounce words with no vowels?

Winston -- a very deep, yet gentle (like Mary) southern accent, punctuated by a hearty laugh. Sort of like James Earle Jones (maybe not quite that deep).

Joy -- a melodic mid-Western (like all the folks on t.v.) accent. Maybe it's her poetry that makes me think this.

Jack -- who the hell knows? I think he might be an American ex-pat, but I'm not sure. He could be either an "oooo-la-la" or a "yeah, but." Either way, I bet I'd like it.

Jim -- like a news anchor. Perfect diction. I can't imagine anything else.

Peter -- since we met, I don't have to wonder. He sounds like a cross between New England and LA, just like he is.

Then there's me. Yes, I know what I sound like, but I thought I'd try to describe it for you. People from outside New England would probably say that I sound like a typical New Englander. But people here consistently ask me where I'm from. I don't generally drop the "r"s -- butta, chowda. And I don't pahk the cah, eitha. But I do have the bad habit of "gonna" (going to), "wanna" (want to), "shoulda" (should have). Dad was very strict about our diction and pronunciation. I try to remember his words, "You should sound as educated as you are." He doesn't sound like a Rhode Islander either.

Time to take the girl to the docta (she's not feelin' good), so I gotta go. Talk to ya late-a.

12 Comments:

Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

That is so funny Elsie. I have often wondered the same thing...how my blogging friends would sound like. I'd have to agree with you about the three or four you mentioned that I visit. As far as I'm concerned...well, some would say that I have a typical Chicago accent, but I've never really seen it. I don't think I have the flat A inflection that is so typical of many Chicagoans. I like your analysis...melodic, thanks Elsie.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which Jack you talking bout?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Dear Jack, please don't be offended. Talking bout you, but only in the nicest way.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elsie, someone must have told you! You pegged it almost perfectly. Tell ya what -- email me a phone number I can reach you on and tell me a good time of day to call and I'll give you an ear full of James Earl Jones, Southern style with a bit of mid-west thrown in for good measure.

6:25 PM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Wow! You so totally nailed me! My voice is deep and I have tried my best to keep my Southern drawl.

I say we all meet somewhere dark and see if we can pick each other out just by our voices!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary B, wonderful idea. And if the voices don't do it, we can leave the lights off and do it by touchy feely...

6:59 AM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Ooh, Winston! Such a challenge.

Elsie, turn off the lights and wait for us! ;-)

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groping my way atcha. Getting close now. Can feel your warm breath on the back of my neck...

If we keep this up, Elsie will be shut down for running an xxx-rated site...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Joy, I like the Chicago accent and have never thought of it as flat. Mid-westerners always sound more intelligent than New Englanders, to me anyway.

Winston, I'm going to have to nix the touchy-feely method of identification. It would be far too simple to pick me out!!

tylbvfun (word verification) -- it'll be fun?
Mary, all I can say is that I sure hope you wouldn't find the differences between Winston and me too challenging!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm up for that! But we'd need some more men.

I assumed Jack was a relative of your, Elsie. I don't know why I thought that. I have him down as an ex-pat American in Paris (probably singing and dancing too).

I think you would be able to understand me. The Welsh accent varies in different parts of Wales and is not at all strong in Swansea.

Perhaps we should all record ourselves and put the recordings on Youtube and our blogs. The trouble is I always try and talk proper and posh when I'm being recorded! Normally I can't get one word out after another without getting them jumbled up.

Another thing: when I'm writing on American blogs I lapse into using 'kinda' and 'gonna'; it's very odd. When I talk to people with a different accent I find myself mimicking how they are speaking. I will get into trouble one day.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Liz, I'd gladly adopt Jack into my family, if he was willing. I think you probably thought we were related because my dad's name is John, but he's mostly called Jack.

Now, how DO you pronounce words that have no vowels?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I have no idea, Elsie! Yesterday a five-year-old was teaching me how to pronounce chwech (six). Or rather he was trying and falling about laughing at my atempts.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home