Site Meter Elsie's Space: It's Everywhere...
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It's Everywhere...

the news of more school violence. Each incident is more shocking than the last. As a mom of two kids making their way through the public school system, it is alarming. I try to remember that the chance of something so horrific happening to my children or to any other child is miniscule. Having said that, I'd like to share a message we received on our answering machine last night.

"Good evening. This is the superintendent of schools calling you to reassure you and your family, in light of the recent school national violence, that our school system is well prepared for any contingency that may occur. Each school has an emergency response manual that is reviewed by principals and teachers, on a timely basis. Our schools have conducted emergency drills, lockdowns, evacuations, and sheltering in place. We have full cooperation of the police and fire departments, and our police department has assigned resource police officers in each of our three major school regions. They are available at a moment's notice.
In cooperation with the police, fire and R.I. emergency management agencies, we will be conducting a full-scale emergency drill at the high school on Thursday, October 5, 2006. We will continue to review our policies with the outstanding cooperation of our partners in the police and fire departments, as an effort to continue ensuring the maximum safety of your sons and daughters. I wish you a good evening."
Now, I'd like to point out that the emergency response manual also addresses weather disasters, chemical or biological disasters, and even plane crashes. I suppose it is good to be prepared.

I continue to believe that most people are good and that my children are safe while at school.

3 Comments:

Blogger MaryB said...

Columbine hit during my Kate's junior year in high school. I can't tell you how many times I've said to myself over the past week, "Boy, I'm glad she's not in school anymore!"

That said, I'm with you re: most people being good. Even after Columbine, I didn't hesitate to send Kate to school, though there were plenty of parents in a tizzy about it. I'm sure that's what your school system (and most others) is going through right now - trying to calm down the over-the-edgers.

Still, you have to wonder what has happened to produce these guys - they might've been around in my day, but they weren't shooting up schools.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

When you consider the number of schools in America, the number of incidents is, indeed, miniscule, but one is too many.

As you say, Mary, what happened to produce these guys?

I agree that the overwhelming number of people are good - and horrified by these attacks - but there's still no answer to the 'why?'

Except, I suppose, that evil is in the world, and always has been but we're seeing more of it - whether that's because of more media coverage or more incidents I don't know, both I suppose.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Columbine started it all. What's troubling about that is that students were the shooters. How can you keep them out of the school? I know there are schools out there where kids must go through metal detectors in order to enter, but geeze, I don't want my kids to have to live like that. At the schools my kids attend, an adult entering is immediately questioned. I once had to show ID to take my daughter out of class because the secretary was a sub. So, I think I worry more about kids being violent with kids.

I don't think there will ever be an answer to the "why." I do think the media has to back off, or at least report the facts without all the sensationalizing (is that a word?).

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home