Site Meter Elsie's Space: Back to Normal
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Back to Normal


It's been a long time since I've felt anything close to normal (normal for me, that is), but this past weekend proves that I'm right back on track.

Friday was daughter's second French class (I drove her there). She's loving it. We're treated to an alphabet recitation every day, and now she's learning her colors and the all-important "zute." Is that really a word? I don't remember ever learning that one. She says it means "darn." So now when she drops her pencil -- "zute," makes a mistake on her homework -- "zute," fights with the dog -- "zute." I told her that I'm not sure that I like her using that word, and she told me, "it's better than saying crap, like you do." Well, well. Maybe she has something there.

We had my parents over for dinner on Saturday. No big deal, right? Except that I love having people over and tend to entertain a lot, but not lately. So it was a big deal to me. I actually cooked the entire dinner all by myself! I love to cook, but haven't been able to lately. Again, a big deal to me. Then, the sweetest thing, the kids were thrilled. "This is the best dinner we've had since you got sick." "Mom, you are the best chef (I've been upgraded) in the whole world." "Mom, can you make this again later this week?" Silly to be excited about that, I guess, but it really was a big deal to me.

On Sunday we went to the theater to see Beauty and the Beast. First, I must say that husband and son were not thrilled to realize that we had four, yup count 'em four, tickets. "We have four, not two?" asked husband. "Sorry, honey, but there are four, and I'd really like you to come with us." Big sigh, and then... "Okay, I'm sure it'll be great." As we were leaving home, son's friend called to invite him over, "I guess the answer is 'no,' Mom?" "You guessed right." Too bad. But then an amazing thing happened. I saw both husband and son smiling during the production. After it was over they both said "it wasn't bad." Daughter, on the other hand and as usual, loved the whole thing -- from being seated, "this place is so beautiful, it makes me feel like royalty," to the show itself. I couldn't have said it any better, "Mom, I'd come here over going to the movies any day." She's a chip off this old block.

There were lots of other everyday things that I was able to attend to over the weekend, and it felt great. I feel great. Back to normal, whatever that is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm so pleased for you, Elsie. It sounds like a lovely weekend.

Children can be very clear-sighted, can't they? I picked 'crap' up from my children, so to speak.

I love the theatre and I've tried to encourage the children to go along (which they do). It saddens me to meet so many people who would never think of going to the theatre.

Having said that, our local theatre, I suppose to keep bums on seats, has loads of tribute bands and blue comedians and very few plays.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Peter (the other) said...

Elsie, my mother was also a fan of the theatre. I have the fondest memories of going with her to the Colonial Theatre in Boston, and seeing My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison and Stanley Holloway (although I can't remember who played Eliza). I also remember well, Tommy Steele in Half a Sixpence. We would also go for all the other spectacles, such as Marcel Marceau or the Lipizzaner Horses from Austria.

As I got older, she would still subscribe to various series so one could find a ticket to something in the house, almost every week. One great night (when I was thirteen), and no one else in the family could go, I got to go alone, by subway, to Harvard Square to see Shaw's Heartbreak House at the Loeb Theatre. I felt so grown up. Then, with mother, Hamlet, or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. This last one would retain a special significance as my mother spent many of her later years in various institutions.

By dragging your son now (ohhhhhh, Mom!), you may well be building a great store of future richs that he wouldn't trade for the world.

12:32 PM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Glad she loved Beauty and the Beast. Sounds like you've got a theatre-kid on your hands. A lifetime of fun ahead for you!

And at least daughter's saying "zute," not "merde." Be thankful for small favors.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kid has got it right.

Merde, go with zut.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Funny, isn't it, how much of what we love begins in our youth? I really started going to the theater with a friend, Sam, when we were in high school. He told me about getting "student rush" tickets at Trinity Rep. We'd go an hour before showtime and, if there were any tickets still available, we could pick them up for next-to-nothing. I can't remember all the plays we saw, but I remember the dreadful feelings I had when I saw "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe" and "Death of a Salesman." I'm sure I must have seen others that were happier, but those have stuck with me.

Sounds like your mom was an interesting lady, Peter. We had to deal with some severe mental health issues with my sis over the years. She, too, spent many years in and out of institutions. Fortunately (and screw Tom Cruise), therapy and medication have worked wonders for the past 15 years or so. Also fortunate for her is that things aren't like "Cuckoo's Nest" any longer.

I hope my kids grow up appreciating my efforts to expose them to some of this world's riches.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home