Site Meter Elsie's Space: Tuesday Two
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Tuesday Two

On his way out the door this morning, son shouted his usual "Bye." Then, what seemed like an afterthought, "Barack and Roll, Mom.... Barack and Roll!" I yell to him to wait and then ask, "What does that mean?" "It's just something that the guys at school say. Young people want Barack to win. Our parents like rock and roll. So if we say 'Barack and Roll' maybe they'll vote for him." Hmmmm... son's been interested in politics for the past four or five years and discusses his opinions at length with me. He's not sure who I'll be voting for, and he knows that a slogan won't sway my decision. But good try, I think. At least he knows it is primary day in my state and that I will vote.

Later, as I walked to the polls, I thought about "Barack and Roll." Then it happened. One of those damned earworm moments that Winston talks about. In my head I hear (with my sincerest apologies to Bob Seeger): "Call me a relic, call me what you will. Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill. Today's must ain't got the same soul. I like that old-time Barack and roll." Did it stop there? No, a couple more verses. Then (and again with my apologies to Rick Derringer): "Barack and roll , Hoochie Koo. Lawdy mama light my fuse. Barack and roll, Hoochie Koo. Truck on out and spread the news." Then, and fortunately last, (you know I have to apologize to Billy Joel, too): "Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways, it's still Barack & Roll to me."

Now, have any rock and roll/Barack and roll songs popped into your head just by reading this? And will you be cursing me the next time you hear someone sing about rock and roll and a presidential candidate pops into your head?

Hey, at least I voted.

P.S. (can you P.S. on a blog?) It looked like Hillary was the only candidate running at our polling place. No Barack supporters, no republicans at all. ??

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barack and Roll... I like it. He's my man. Guess that's because I'm so young... heh...

7:15 PM  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

How about "Don't go Baracking My Heart"....or "Baracking Up Is Hard To Do."

He's my guy too....

10:37 PM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

No, can't hear the middle one.

Who won? I haven't heard the news today. I'd better go see if Hillary's retired gracefully yet.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Ah, no, a revival for Bill's wife.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home