Site Meter Elsie's Space: Friends
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Friends

Today's the best day I've had in a while. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. I think a big part of it was talking to one of my dear friends. It's odd...sometimes you don't even notice how important a person has become to you until you realize that, in your own strange way, you need him. That's what has happened with me.

This morning I was cleaning up my email mess. There are so many of the stupid things I haven't even bothered to read or delete over the past five or six weeks, I had to do something. I ended up reading the email messages I had sent during the last few days of my dad's life and saw that they were all to the same person. I spent most of those days with my family at the hospital staying near Dad. But in the few private alone moments I had at home, I connected with this special friend, keeping him informed and pouring out all my sad, sad feelings. He responded in his usual kind, compassionate, and loving way. He kept me connected to life while I watched my dad's fade away. And I will be forever grateful.

So.... this afternoon I decided to go to the library. Once I'd arrived, thoughts of my friend just popped into my head, and I decided to call him right then and there from the parking lot. He seemed genuinely happy to hear from me, and I was certainly happy to hear a friendly upbeat voice. We talked for twenty minutes or so, just enough to revive this wilting woman, but hopefully not long enough to wear out my welcome. It was good. And the feeling lingers.

You never know where you might find a real friend. I'm thankful for those I have, and today I'm especially thankful for my newest real friend. Maybe someday he'll know how much his friendship means.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

A good chat with a good friend is so often what we need to keep a healthy and balanced perspective on things Elsie. Just the shot in the arm we need to push on.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

It's wonderful that there was someone there for you that you could really talk and share with. Bless him.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Joy, you are so right!

Liz, I think so, too (and I think he's already blessed!).

9:49 AM  
Blogger MaryB said...

I promise you that a chat with a good friend is better than all the paid-for therapy on earth. Truly. I'm so glad your friend was there for you, Elsie.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home