Site Meter Elsie's Space: For What It's Worth....
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

For What It's Worth....

While driving home the other day, I saw a woman pushing a dog in a baby stroller. A dog! Who does that? Now I've seen everything.

On that same drive I was listening to talk radio. The host of the show was talking about the local prison and the need for "conjugated visits." Let's see. I am here. You are there. I think I understand the problem.

Remember Fuzzy Wuzzy soap? Shaped like a bear and grew fuzz when dry. I loved that soap. Now I wonder what made the soap fuzzy and if some of my weirdness is one of the effects of playing with it. I'd still buy some if I could. Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?

What I overheard: Daughter to son -- "A girl in my class was caught cheating today. Mrs. O ripped up her paper and gave her a zero." Son -- "I hope you don't cheat. You're very smart like me. Very smart. You'll probably always do better than most kids in your class, so if you cheat you'll end up doing worse than if you try to figure out the answer yourself." Daughter -- "Yeah, and if you get caught, mom and dad will be really mad." Son -- "Yup. Dad would get a little mad. Mom would get REALLY mad."

I spent the other day hanging curtains for my grandma. Sounds nice, but I worried about telling husband. I took down the curtains in our bedroom in September to replace them. But, of course, I had purchased the wrong size. Now I can't find anything I like. The sun streams in early which can be rather aggravating. Our windows are still bare, but grandma has curtains on hers! Fortunately husband has a good sense of humor and simply laughed about it. Guess I'd better get a move on.

The dog ate an entire loaf of bread....again.

We went on our Christmas tree hunt last weekend. I brought along the camera to take photos. I was planning to use one for our Christmas card. I never even sent cards last year. After back surgery I was happy to manage shopping for the children, never mind sending cards. So I was very excited about getting a nice photo for this year's. As always, we chose the perfect tree for us. I took out the camera, heard the lovely tune that plays when I turn it on. And then on the display "Batteries Exhausted." Crap! I tried it again. I removed the batteries and switched them around. "Batteries Exhausted." Nothing! No tree hunt photo. Yesterday while searching my purse I found two new batteries. Oh yes, they were in there from our trip to New York. I'd completely forgotten all about them. I think my brain is exhausted.

Our nieces and nephews are at that age where they prefer money or gift cards to presents. Makes things easy for this auntie. I received my credit card points rewards catalog which included gift certificates to some nifty places. Great! I redeemed points for nine pretty nice gift cards. I'm such a great customer (who has a bijillion points) that they sent the cards via overnight delivery. I was excited to receive them. Then I had a pang of guilt, and now I want to buy gift cards from the same stores using cash. I have a case of feeling cheap about using reward points. Husband thinks I am crazy. Just maybe I am.

Maybe I should worry about getting through Thanksgiving before worrying about Christmas. We were expecting 18 people, until last night when I found out that people I love have no plans. So now it's 22. The more the merrier, I say (and Mary says too). Right?

I was playing a word game and could not figure out the answer. It was reappear. For some reason I read it as "reap pear." What's a reap pear I wondered. Then it dawned on me, after losing the game: re-appear, but you knew that, didn't you?

The scholastic book program is one of life's greatest things. Where else can you buy three or four books for your kids for $10? Plus purchasing books through them has the big advantage of evoking some wonderful childhood memories. Mom and Dad always let me get as many books from scholastic as I wanted. Is it any wonder that I do the same?

And finally, for what it's worth..... Need I say anything else?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure it was not family?

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great collection of unrelated stuff!

Roomie has one of those doggie strollers (they're made and sold for dogs, not kids). I think it is ridiculous. When we're out together and she uses it, I walk 20 paces behind her so that folks won't know I'm with that crazy woman...

7:02 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Jack, not sure what you mean, but for me it's always family!

Winston, no offense to Roomie. This was not a dog stroller; it was a baby stroller! Maybe I'd be able to better control my dog if I put him in a stroller rather than let him pull me around the neighborhood.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

What a potpourri of weird little events Elsie. Sounds like your Thanksgiving is going to be pretty busy....how nice that is. My last couple have been pretty quiet...and though this one looks to be the same...sometimes it's really nice to be a little more slow-paced. God knows I had many years of the other kind. Happy T-Day to you sweetie....

Hey, I didn't even know dogs liked bread.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

My children knew I'd never refuse to buy them books! And I ran the school bookshop for years.Bought most of the books too...

Never heard of Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Smart son!

WE have cleaning days in church and I never go because Husband would be way too annoyed if I went somewhere else to clean while not cleaning our house!

Batteries, cameras, remote controls - they all drive me mad.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home