Site Meter Elsie's Space: Arbitrary Thoughts
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Arbitrary Thoughts

If my mother is a naturalized American and my father is a fourth generation American, does that make me a first generation or fifth generation American?

Why is it that every time I hear Squeeze on the radio I want to run out to by their East Side Story CD, but when I'm actually at the store I forget all about it and end up with something else?

Why am I one of those people who closes the bathroom door even when no one else is home?

Out of the workforce for 13 years, I still read the Wall Street Journal as often as I can, but now I only read the Marketplace section. And I'm not sure why.

There are still many reasons to be proud to be an American. Why is it then that I'm supposed to feel bad about flying the flag?

I read all the time, so I once joined a book club -- hated it. Dissecting a good book takes away a lot of the pleasure for me. If I wanted a Lit class, I'd take a Lit class. Do people really enjoy the book club thing?

Why does the concept "all you can eat" not seem appealing in any way anymore?

And lastly -- my children have many friends. They have many, many friends when the pool is open. (Guess I can figure this one out on my own).

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I lock the bathroom door when I'm in the shower and in the house alone. I don't want a burglar to come in and find me naked.

And I'm not very good at discussing books: I either like it or don't.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flag is the symbol of a nation, not of the nation's government. Displaying a flag appropriately ought not prompt bad feelings unless perhaps something foreign to the flag had become confounded with it. At least I suppose it is like that.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never feel bad about flying the American flag. That's our flag and something to be proud of. And on #1, I'm not sure generation matters. You're American, and that's what is important.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Liz, you've got me beat there. I don't lock the door when I'm home alone. Then again, I figure that if a burglar were to come in, the sight of me naked would scare him away for sure!

Thanks, Jack. I wish that all Americans would remember that.

Winston, that's it! I'm American, and I'm damn well gonna fly the stars and stripes whenever I want!

5:00 AM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Hate book clubs! At least, the face to face ones. Can't imagine dissecting a book, although I do love discussing an exciting read one on one with someone else who loved the book. I did enjoy my online book group (I no longer participate), just because I liked to read what others posted (though I rarely posted myself). Also got some great suggestions for my TBR pile!

No longer close the bathroom door when alone, though I did for years. Hm. Wonder when that change took place?

I never feel bad displaying my flag (when I owned a house and could stick one out front). I love my country (though my government often makes me despair).

9:56 AM  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

I love putting my flag out in front of the house...there's something about the feeling you get when you see it waving in the wind.

I've never been in a book club....never will since I really don't read that many books anymore...disgraceful I know....especially since all of my family are huge book readers. When I really sit down with one...I often wind up falling asleep. I spend all of my time reading on the computer; which strangely enough doesn't make me as sleepy.

I never close the bathroom door when I'm home alone. One day that's going to come back and haunt me.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Mary, glad it's not just me hating the book club thing. I love our country, too, but am with you on the government.

Joy, your comment that leaving the bathroom door open will someday haunt you made me laugh. All I could think was that, yes, it'll come back to bite you in the butt. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home