Site Meter Elsie's Space: It's Still a Small World
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It's Still a Small World

A while back I wrote about my buddy John meeting a friend of mine while on business in San Francisco -- a long, long way from here. Now it's happened again.

Sister lives in Colorado. Sister was training a new employee. New employee and sister soon realized that they were originally from the same state. Then they realized they were from the same town. New employee told sister about the neighborhood where she grew up. Sister told new employee "that's the neighborhood where my sister (me) lives." New employee asked where in that neighborhood. Sister told her. Then... "does she live in a big brick ranch with a huge yard?" Sister said "yes." New employee asked her at "123 X Street?" "Yes." New employee told sister her maiden name, which sister immediately recognized, and told sister that she had grown up in the house in which I currently live!!!

It's an eerily small world!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would make it a Wampeter wouldn't it?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Keeping me working, as always, I have to admit I had to find out what a Wampeter is (it sounded familiar, but I just couldn't remember). And it wasn't easy. Not in the dictionary. Not in the on-line dictionary. I finally found it by googling it. Then the "aha" moment.

So, thanks. And yes, Jack, I suppose that would make it a Wampeter.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a new one on me. Don't think we have any Wampeters in Tennessee...

Yes, the world is shrinking fast. There is always a connection on one kind or another just lurking around the corner. The "six degrees of separation" theory rules, except that it seems to be moving toward five.

5:34 PM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Yes, you DO have wampeters - and granfalloons, and the rest, thank you, Kurt Vonnegut. (Obviously, none of your read my tribute in April when the great man died.)

It is amazing how connected we are, and those connections manage to turn up all the time, eh, Elsie?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Winston, couldn't agree more.

Mary, see what happens with age. I'm sure I did read your post in April, which is probably where the "aha" came from in the first place!

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home