Site Meter Elsie's Space
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Monday, October 08, 2007

On September 30th, Winston posted "Before You Croak" on his blog (http://www.nobodyasked.com/). He suggested that some of us might want to make a list of our own. After much thought, here's mine.


Places you might want to consider:


1. Banff, Alberta, Canada -- perhaps the most beautiful place I've ever experienced. I've been fortunate enough to go with my parents when I was about 11, with my cousins when I was about 15, and again in my mid-twenties. There's something for everyone. Most of the streets have animal names. There's swimming in the hot sulfur springs beneath truly majestic mountains. Simply looking at the mountain's reflection in Lake Louise takes your breath away. I've heard Texas called "God's country" many times, but I've got to believe it's Banff. I can't wait to go back again.



2. Christmas at my house. There's nothing quite like it. As a Christian, I celebrate Christmas in a private, quiet way with my husband and children at our church. Then it's a free-for-all Christmas afternoon and evening. There are always so many people. Young. Old. Male. Female. Married. Single. Gay. Straight. Christian. Jew. Muslim. Atheist. Teacher. Nurse. Executive. Social Worker. Student. Engineer. Mom. Dad. Grandma. Grandpa. Aunt. Uncle. Cousin. Friend. It's our own kaleidoscope of people. Everyone celebrating our love for each other. As simple and complex as that. My dad once said, "if only the world could be like our family." I wish everyone could celebrate a holiday like that just once. You all (or most of you, anyway) are invited.

3) Sailing with friends on a hot summer day. There's nothing quite like the feel of the wind or the summer sun burning the delights of the day onto your face. Good food, good drink, good wind and good friends are the recipe for the perfect day.


4) Simultaneous mutual orgasm (stolen directly from Winston's list). To that I'd add living together to a ripe old age with only the shared memory of the mutual orgasm, when love is all that's left and love is enough.


5) Sunset at Rick's Cafe in Negril, Jamaica. They (and who are "they" anyway?) say that it's the most beautiful sunset in the western hemisphere. Having experienced the sunset there with one of my dearest friends, tropical cocktails in hand, I'd have to believe it's true. If there's a more spectacular sunset anywhere, I'd like to see it.

Then there's my list of places I've never been, but hope to see before I croak.

1) Paris. The City of Lights. I've heard mixed reviews from several of my friends, but I still want to experience it for myself. I picture it being one of the most romantic cities on this earth. Ooooo, and the food. Someday I'm going to go see for myself.



2) Mount Rushmore. I don't know why I feel the need to see it, but I do. And I will. Someday.


3) Alaska. Everyone I know who's ever been there says it's spectacular. I wonder if parts of it have that same feeling as Banff. I'd like to see the finish of the Iditarod, a dog sled race I've been following as long as I can remember. Plus all those men.... I'm going there someday, too.


4) Block Island. Just because it's there.


And given the chance to do absolutely anything.... (feels like there should be a drum roll here) ... I would happily blast off in one of our Space Shuttles. It may be silly, but when I was a little girl I wanted to be an astronaut. I was told that girls couldn't be astronauts -- too dangerous and all that science. I would still go into space in a minute. Now it's not that I'm a girl, it's that I'm too damn old. But if I could....



Instead, I'll try visiting Block Island one of these days.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great list, Elsie. It gives me some ideas of things I might want to do before I depart this mortal coil. I now know where I'll be for Christmas this year, unless I'm not included in the "most of you" group. And what a pleasant surprise that you shared my mutual orgasm... Maybe I should rephrase that... Naaaahhh...

10:16 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

You are definitely included in the group invited for Christmas. Please come!

7:16 AM  
Blogger MaryB said...

Wonderful list, Elsie. Except it should be Christmas at MY house! ;-)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

A great list, elsie. Banff sounds fabulous. I have been thinking about a Canada trip for a couple of years now since a number of people have told me of its splendour.

Christmas, mm, yes. With all the trimmings definitely.

I did say on winston's site that i'd write a similar post but I haven't yet. I'll have to give it some thought.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

No, Christmas at our house!

We had an elderly relative to stay on the weekend. She told us about a recent trip to Prague and said she'd like to go back, but she won't... because she is coming to a time in her life where she is trying to tick more boxes, not revisit old ones!

I loved your list. I want to visit Banff - for the lakes, Costa Rica - for the parrots, and New York in December - for the ice skating.

And Paris... at night... sitting beneath the Eiffel Tower as its nightly illuminations begin... or by day, gazing into the eaves of Notre Dame... it definitely deserves a place in your heart. When you book your ticket, I must give you the name of the place that does the world's best chocolate mousse!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Mary, Liz, and Anna, you are all invited, too. I hope you are putting your list together, Liz. I'm sure it will be interesting.

Anna, is that an invitation? Because I don't need much encouragement to get me traveling. And you can be sure that when I plan to visit Paris, I will be looking to find the chocolate mousse!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home