Site Meter Elsie's Space: Not Me
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Not Me

I am no longer part of the rat race. I haven't been part of it for what seems like forever but has, in reality, only been 12 years. And how things change.

This morning I had an appointment in Providence which required driving during rush hour. People have gone crazy! First, there was a guy who pulled out from Dunkin' Donuts right in front of me. Hey, we all make mistakes, but this guy was holding a cup of coffee in one hand and a cell phone in the other. How on earth did he even make the turn? And was he trying to kill me? I may be getting older, but my reflexes are still pretty good, so I jammed on the brakes and avoided a collision. Good.

Then, once I got onto the highway, things got really crazy. Cars everywhere. I made the mistake of trying to not follow too close, but this one guy decided that there was plenty of room for him to enter my lane without using his blinker. Again, I jam on the brakes and pray that I don't get rear ended. I didn't. Good.

I finally make it to a lovely section of Providence. I'm the first car stopped at a red light. Light turns green. I make yet another mistake, beginning to enter the intersection. A woman this time, but again on the cell phone, barrels through the intersection, right through a red light! You know now, jam on the brakes. Everyone is safe. Good.

I arrive at my destination just in time for my appointment. Now there's nowhere to park! Are you kidding me? I circle the block. Nothing. Circle the next block. Nothing. End up back where I started when someone pulls away from the curb. I pull right in. Good.

Run into the office. The appointment goes off without a hitch. Great! Rush hour's over and the trip home is easy and pleasant.

Now I solemnly swear I will never again make an appointment in Providence at 8 a.m. Never. The Rat Race is over for me. To any of you who must live it each day, I wish you peace and good reflexes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to do it. It is bad. Everywhere. Nashville included.

I have written about fools on cell phones, eating, putting on make-up, doing other things, while attempting to drive. Cell phone usage while driving should be outlawed unless you have a hands-free job. I do, but never use it because just talking gets me enough distracted to be dangerous.

Glad you got there and back safe and sound. But it must've rattled you terribly.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

The traffice gods must have been watching out for you Elsie. But I do so love Providence. I was there for several visits when one of my daughters went to Brown for graduate school. It has such ambiance....

11:39 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Winston, so sorry you have to deal with it daily. Glad you never talk on yours while driving ;)

Joy, I can't believe how much more aggressive people are these days! The east side (where Brown is) is just lovely. Brown...she must be one smart cookie!

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home