Site Meter Elsie's Space: The Routine
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Monday, February 05, 2007

The Routine

February's finally here. The groundhogs say spring is just around the corner, though it hasn't really been winter here yet this year. School and family events dot the calendar. We've been busy with the routine of family life. Sometimes it feels like we should slow down. Instead...

It's becoming more exciting now that February is here. The kids are looking forward to their winter break from school. We're taking them to California where, hopefully, the sun and warm weather will shine on us. We're doing a kid vacation. Disneyland and Legoland are the main attractions. Daughter also has her heart set on visiting American Girl Place. The kids are as excited as only kids can get (yes, I'm excited, too). It's been non-stop chatter..."do you think we could..." "will we be able to...." " I can't wait to..."

This week we're having a family outing where we'll all go get our passports and then go out for lunch. We are going to Bermuda in June with the entire family for my parents' 50th. Our kids are lucky to have been there twice before, but now a passport is required to return home. The kids think it's great. I think so, too. I pulled out my passport and am embarrassed to report that is has been expired for eight years now. Definitely time for a new one.

A vacation for Hershey at the kennel requires a kennel cough vaccine, so he and I made a trip to the vet. He is not a good patient. He poops all over the parking lot whenever we go. It is an ordeal for both him and me. This visit, however, he was the best behaved dog of the bunch in the waiting room. A first for him. I am extremely proud -- not of his having pooped in the parking lot, but of his good behavior. And for that he was rewarded with a big fat shot into his bum. Poor boy. I did give him a bone when we got home.

The weather has gotten very cold. Today it's expected to only reach 18F. That's pretty cold! But no snow in sight. We've not been sledding once. I know I whine on and on about it, but that's what we live for in winter. There is a ski place not too far from here where they've been making snow. I don't ski (I'm breakable), but they now have snow tubing, which sounds like fun. Maybe over the weekend.

Life bumps along. Things generally are better than worse, and for that I'm grateful. I've begun making a list of three things I'm grateful for each day. Here are today's: (1) the dog didn't eat the bread I accidentally left on the counter for more than five minutes; (2) husband called just to say hi and to let me know he won't be late tonight as originally planned; (3) dad brought over super bowl goodies last night, but I fell asleep -- so I got to eat them for lunch today.

Kids are coming home from school soon. Time for the old routine. It is good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

It's little things that count.

It's wonderful when your dog suddenly makes you proud like that, isn't it?

11:24 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

It is wonderful. Doesn't happen often though!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home