Site Meter Elsie's Space: Hand Washing and Wringing
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Hand Washing and Wringing

The phone rang at 5:30 a.m. today, causing my heart to leap into action, ready to run to wherever I am needed. I hate getting calls at this time of day. Something must be wrong. And there is, but not what I was thinking. The call was the second call from the local school superintendent trying to allay parents' fears about their kids' safety in school. This time it's not about school shootings. It's about this:
After saying that our kids were safe in school, even though one child has died, he declared that schools would be closed today and tomorrow while officials from the state and the CDC decide upon a course of action.

Yesterday, daughter came home saying that the school nurse had come to teach her class the proper way to cough (into the crook of your elbow) and about hand washing. Evidently, daughter piped right up and said, "My mom always says that. Coughing into your hand and then touching something can make someone sick. And we always have to wash our hands when we get home from school and before we eat anything." I'm glad she appeared well-informed, but geeze, did she have to expose me for the germophobe that I am?

So there's now a lot of hand washing and hand wringing going on. Fingers are being pointed. What could have/should have been done differently? Schools are being decontaminated. What should be/will be done differently? School is closed.

Parents are understandably concerned. Me, I'm concerned too, but am trying not to panic. We (kids and I) have already taken reasonable steps to stay healthy through cold and flu season, and I hope that's all there is for us to do. For today, I think I'll let the kids sleep in late (won't they be happily surprised to have the rest of the week off?), go rent a couple of DVDs and play some games with them. I'm going to try to make this a happy time rather than a scary time for them.

That's all. And in the words of our school superindendent, "I wish you a good day."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the Quiet didn't last long?!

A worrying time though - but did they have to phone THAT early? Hope all stays well and that you and the children enjoy the unexpected bonus time together.

My Word Verifier sounds like a cough, haxdis!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Liz, it's been a fun day so far!We're off to fencing now. Check out www.wpri.com or www.projo.com if you're interested in reading about it.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I did not know about this! Hope they get the buggers soon.

I have a hard time with the crass lying bureaucrats who think the world is stupid enough to buy their bull.

"Although one has died and we don't know why, your children are safe with us. But for their protection (and protection of our legal and financial butts) we're having a lockout and shutdown until the facility has been sterilized and declared safe by the CDC."


Gimme a break! I suppose they are the same everywhere...

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Elsie, I saw this in the paper yesterday and meant to email to see if your kids were/weren't in school.

Wash dem hands, kiddies!

(And I'm with Liz. Did they have to call so heart-stoppingly early? I guess so, before parents who have early jobs get out of the house.)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

The kids went back to school today, Jan. 8.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home