Site Meter Elsie's Space: It's Too Early,
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It's Too Early,

I know, but I can no longer resist. I am one of those people who loves everything Christmas -- the decorations, the celebrations, the smells, friends, but most especially, the music.

I have a rather large collection of Christmas CDs. I'm sort of known for it. Friends often call to borrow from it when preparing for parties of their own (I'm not sure what it says about my musical taste that people rarely ask to borrow from my "regular" collection!). I buy at least one Christmas CD each year, and I usually receive one from my brother as a Hanukkah present. So, when I went shopping today, it was no surprise to feel drawn to the Christmas music section of a local department store. I can't believe how much there is available these days compared to when I first started collecting Christmas tunes! It feels like the selection is endless. After a bit of browsing, I had chosen one CD. When I went around the corner there was another display on the end cap. And there it was, calling to me, "Take me. I'm just the right one for you. Take me." Of course, I had to listen, and chose this one instead. And am I glad I did!

I popped it into the CD player as soon as I hit the car. I couldn't help myself. I knew I might get teary eyed by listening, as Mr. Rawls died earlier this year. But then I thought how great it would be to hear him again. There's something about that voice that's always touched me. And this CD is no different. And, as it turns out, this is the last album he ever recorded. So.... if there's a new Christmas album in your future, you might seriously want to consider Lou. He's definitely worth a listen.

I'll be back out in the next couple of days to get a few more to give as pre-Christmas gifts. Lou Rawls was blessed with talent. No doubt, my friends and family will enjoy his CD for years to come.

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas. Ho Ho Ho.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Daughter, Anna, has been playing Christmas music intermittently since August! She does copywriting and says it helps her get in the mood to write about Christmassy things in the summer. But really she just loves everything about Christmas.

I do too but it's husband's birthday on 1st December and then it's up with the advent calendars and excitement in earnest.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

I must admit, Liz, that I don't really listen to Christmas music until December. But I always have to check out the new one as soon as I get it. It's now safely with all the others, waiting for the season to begin.

Son's birthday is December 12, so we try not to celebrate Christmas too much before then either. It's hard being a kid and having Christmas and birthday mashed together, so we do our best to celebrate him first!

But how I do love that CD!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Christmas music! Not the Musak-y kind, but all my beloved Christmas albums lovingly collected over the years. And can't we pinpoint the feelings/experiences of certain years just by playing a particular Christmas album - Perry Como, Bing and the Andrews Sisters, Amy Grant, and Lou Rawls?

Here's my rule: I can't play Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving (though I find ways to sneak it in a bit throughout the year). The day after Thanksgiving I pull all the Christmas CDs to the front and let 'em rip!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home