Site Meter Elsie's Space: Trying to take off the chill...
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Trying to take off the chill...

last night I lit the first fire of the season. Truth be told, I cheated a bit and used one of those logs that you simply set a match to and up it goes. But I thought it was a fine fire anyway. Hershey sure seemed to like it! Or maybe it was that we were in the kitchen cooking, and the Hershman loves the smell of food! Either way, he's fine company while I prepare dinner. Of course, I had to have a cup of hot chocolate (with fluff) to celebrate this wondrous event. I can feel winter closing in.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Mmmm, I have my hot water bottle in bed now while Mike is away. Not just warm but comforting.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Peter (the other) said...

Ahhhh, ya. Here at 10pm, it is still 70 degrees, as a Santa Ana condition sets in (humidity 20%, very dry). The forecast claims it will get down to 55, I don't see how.

It takes Fluff, fluff, fluff, to make a fluffernutter.

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. I grieve for my house in Atlanta and my wonderful little fireplace. Sob.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Liz, when Bob's away I usually have a little girl and a big dog in my bed. The hot water bottle would do in a pinch. Interesting idea. How'd you think of that?

Peter, today is what the weather guy is calling a "bonus day." Sunny and 70. Should be great. The nights have still been pretty cold though. The Fluff I enjoyed came with the prettiest bow on top! Of course, I thought of you while partaking! I'll send you some if you want.

Mary, if you're ever really in need, we're only a few hours away by train. And the Providence area is a pretty nice place to visit. I won't tell you that there are three other fireplaces in this here house, but there are, so there's plenty to share.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a nice fire when it's all yucky and cold and miserable outside. But in TN we're not there yet. Maybe by Christmas...

Those quickie logs are easy and, well, quick. But take caution about using them often. They coat the inside of chimney or flue with a combustible mixture of wax and other junk. Then, under right conditions, that can catch fire and ruin the ambiance...

8:28 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Not to worry, Winston. I have the chimney sweep (who I'll forever now think of as my ambience protector) all lined up. I just hope that this one can sing and dance like Dick Van Dyke.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home