Site Meter Elsie's Space: As a mom...
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Monday, October 16, 2006

As a mom...

I'm expected, by the kidlets, to understand life's greatest mysteries. Sometimes though, I simply must say, "I don't know."

Yesterday, Katie asked, "Mom, is there a word, boyey (boy-ee)?" "Gee, I've never heard of it. How would you use it in a sentence?" "I'm a girly girl; David's a boyey boy." "No, that's not a word." "Well, is boyly a word?" "No. That's not a word either." "Why not? There's womanly and manly, but not boyly?" "No. I think you'd have to say boyish." With a big sigh, she goes on, "That's just not right. There's girly, manly, and womanly. Then there's girlish, manish, womanish, and boyish. That's just not fair. The boys get ripped off." "Well, honey, that's just the way it is." No real answer to give her to sort out this mystery. It's just the way it is. So I leave it at that, even though I'm tempted to debunk her "boys get ripped off" theory. I think it best to leave that for the next decade when she might figure that one out for herself.

And now here I am, left with the most mommyly question of all, "how does she think of this stuff?" Ah, one of life's greatest mysteries. I simply don't know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That is so lovely. How old is she?

She will find out soon enough and I think she will also have the answers!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

She's eight. She's so smart and funny, I can't believe she's mine!

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, they just DO think of those things. Sometimes I wish kids were running the world. They seem to be thinking a lot more than our fearless leaders!

And. Your daughter has a point.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home