Site Meter Elsie's Space: It is getting to be that time of year.....
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It is getting to be that time of year.....


This week, both kids presented me with their Christmas wish lists. Fortunately, neither of their lists were long. Son has asked for two things: a Lego train (he's King of the Lego lovers) and an epee with power cord. Here he is, in his gear (he's usually wearing a mask). He absolutely loves fencing. I watch, usually cringing as another kid pokes my boy about his whole body with a weapon (that's what they call it, and I hate that). I apologize for the picture quality, but I'm still getting used to the new camera. Also, the photo was taken through a window.

Daughter's list is also short. She's hoping for Josephina, an American Girl doll of Mexican heritage. It's refreshing that she didn't ask for another blonde, blue-eyed doll. I suppose it's natural that she'd want a "baby" she can relate to, but it's nice to see her broadening her horizons. She's also asked for a Hannah Montana CD. Considering I spent the better part of a year listening to Lindsay Lohan over and over and over, Hannah Montana doesn't sound too bad.

The Holiday Bazaar was a smashing success. Once again, it was a record breaker. It's not so much fun breaking your own record as it is breaking someone else's. Maybe that's just me. I was approached to co-chair again for next year, but finally said "no" loudly and clearly. Next year I will be a visitor only.

Bob's beloved uncle died over the weekend, so he and his brother took their mom to Florida yesterday. He was 88, so it wasn't exactly unexpected, but it's horribly sad for everyone anyway. He was an interesting man.

My mom offered to host Thanksgiving at her house since all plans have now changed with Bob's mom being away. I, of course, said yes. I love entertaining, but sometimes it's nice to be a guest. There's only going to be the six now, us plus mom and dad. Brother and family will stop in for dessert. That's when things get lively!

Hershey just ate my lunch!! I had prepared a grilled fontanella sandwich. Stupidly, I went to the fridge to get a glass of milk. It only took a minute, but when I turned around, sandwich and dog were gone. I called and called, but he completely ignored me. I went looking for him and found him on my bed, chowing down the last of it. Don't you know, those were the last two pieces of bread! That's what I get for cheating on my low-carb diet. Hershey was doing me a favor!

Now it's off to the phone to order kids' gifts. There are no stores nearby that stock what either of them want. I hate shopping, so it actually works out well for me. And home delivery, you can't beat that.

Only one more week. Then the Christmas season begins in earnest. I'm a pretty good Santa, and since we're still perpetuating that myth in our house (perhaps for the last time), I'm excited for it all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Well done to you for breaking your record and for saying 'no', and well done to Hershey for helping you with your diet!

For years after my children knew the truth, I continued to perpetuate the myth, and, just now and again, I would see just a flicker of doubt cross their faces. It was great!

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love Christmas, too. Lucky you, that your kids have already turned in their lists. (Great fencing shot, by the way.)

re: the American Girl doll: Josephina's relatively new in the AG collection - at least since my Kate was young. Her first was Samantha - she loved S's story and the time period; then she opted for Felicity, which kind of surprised me - nice red hair (or she used to have, anyway). I did love those expensive, but lovely dolls and all their accoutrements. Everything's packed away for a future grand-daughter. ;-) Kate took very good care of her AG dolls.

Love hearing about your Thanksgiving plans, as well. I know I'm looking forward to the holiday.

re: the "myth" - I have a traumatic tale to tell; I'll post about it in December. Fortunately, my Kate doesn't hate me!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Liz, I'm going to see what will happen with David if I try to pull off something different this year. Maybe I can see the flicker of doubt, too. That would be fun!

Mary, those AG dolls are lovely, but they sure are expensive! And, I found out that you have to be careful when ordering. If I ordered the doll with accessories and then added the six-book series, the total is about $150. If I order the doll with the the six book series and then add the accessories, the totel is $130. Who is doing their pricing? The same exact items, two different prices. Guess which way I went!

By the way, I saved my Barbies from when I was a kid. I took great care of them. I have one that actually says "patent pending" on the butt. No box, but still must be worth something. I just can't bear the thought of selling it, though!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home