Site Meter Elsie's Space: A Love Story?
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Not much to tell.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Love Story?

I'm a sap when it comes to love stories. My favorites are the real-life stories in which I starred. Next would be those where my friends truly fall in love. And, of course, there are always novels and movies. A love story, in any form, works for me. I love them all. I've been called a "hopeless romantic" (I prefer "hopeful"), a mush, an eternal optimist when it comes to love. And it's all true. I can't help it. Life seems better when love is in the air.

It was with great excitement and anticipation that I planned last night. Rented the movie I've been most wanting and waiting to see. Got the popcorn ready, and even allowed myself to add the melted butter! A huge treat considering that I've been working very hard to lose my "winter weight" and that it took me two months to lose 10 lbs. But I was confident that it would be worth it. Brokeback Mountain recently won some awards, and the buzz was great. A true romance. It didn't matter to me that the main characters were men. Love is love. That's all that counts. I'm just a mush.

So I watched. And I just didn't get it. Am I the only one who didn't see this as a love story? What I saw was two men. Oh yes, they were confused and conflicted. No problem for me there. But in their first "love scene" (for lack of better words) one guy pretty much rapes the other. This is love? I've often been left with my brain muddled after watching some "artsy" film, but I just couldn't wrap my brain around this one at all. The entire scene felt violent. I couldn't see any love there. And where were all the Hollywood liberals on this one? It's okay if we turn rape into love in the name of art? It's okay if it's two men? If there were a "love story" starring a man and a woman, and that man threw the woman down on all fours and "took her," everyone would be crying rape. But two men -- no one seemed to mind. Huh?

Later in the movie, we're once again treated to some violence. This time it's a punch to the face. Evidently, this is a new type of foreplay. Punch your lover in the face and make wild, passionate love. Thanks, but I'll pass. What is the deal? Again, if a man punched a woman in the name of love, people everywhere would label him a batterer. But I guess if you're gay, it's okay to be portrayed in that light. Why am I the only one who thinks there's really something wrong with this picture?

I've thought about it and thought about it. I almost watched it again just to be sure that I'm not the one totally off base here. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. If I have to analyze it to make it okay for me, then it's not okay. Even if the entire world applauds, it's still wrong to me.

Guess when it comes to love, I'm an old-fashioned kind of girl. Bring me flowers. Rub my feet, and I'll love you forever. But keep your fists to yourself. I know what love is, and to me, Brokeback Mountain isn't it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home